Midvale >Food & Dining > Jumbo Buffet
This was resently closed and opened
under a different name and based off of food quality a new owner. I had gone to jumbo buffet for many years and seen it slowly decline, however when I went to Oriental Buffet(it's new name) I was very happy with the food and service.
They remodeled and added food choices. They still have the crab legs, which is why I went back through the years, but they also have many other choices. Not only have they added new choices the quality has improved greatly! It is hot and fresh and tastes great!
I highly recommend you try this place again, even if you are not impressed with Jumbo Buffet in the past.
Closed by the SLV Health Dept Aug 23,
2012 for presenting an imminent public health hazard due to the following conditions:
• Various potentially hazardous foods in cold prep tables and reach-in refrigerators are held at 50-56°F.
• Cold prep tables are unable to hold potentially hazardous foods at or below 41°F.
• Raw beef and chicken are held on a counter top at 52-55°F.
• Sushi rolls are held out of temperature control at 50-60°F on a buffet table with no time marking method in place.
• An employee is eating personal food on a preparation table.
• Rubbing alcohol is stored above food handling gloves.
• The ice dispenser on the drink machine has mold on it.
• The interior of the main ice machine bin has mold in it.
• The ceiling and fan unit in the walk-in cooler have mold on them.
• Paint and lubricant are kept in the food storage area.
• There is no measurable sanitizer in the final rinse of the dish machine.
• The back door is propped open.
• A wet towel is in contact with wontons.
• A water pitcher is stored in the hand sink at the Mongolian grill.
• Ventilation hood surfaces above the woks and deep fryers are heavily coated with grease and dust.
• The ceiling in the kitchen is heavily soiled.
• The person in charge is unable to provide documentation of the species of fish being used for sushi.
• Broccoli is store in an unclean, non-food grade bin.
• Krab meat is thawing in standing water.
• Exterior surfaces of cooking equipment are soiled.
• Handles and gaskets on reach-in cooler doors are soiled.
• Shelves in the walk-in cooler are unclean.
• Food is stored on the floor in the walk-in cooler and freezer.
• A pan of vegetables is stored uncovered on the hood of a car outdoors.
• Soapy water is being discharged in the parking lot.
• There is no food guard or lid over food in the customer self-service dessert area.
• Insect control devices are installed above the clean dish area.
• The person in charge is unable to demonstrate knowledge of proper cold-holding temperatures and is not maintaining the establishment in a clean condition.
Just got back from the Jumbo Buffet. After reading the reviews was a little nervous about going there. Its Sunday afternoon so they do dinner all day. IT WAS GREAT!!! They had lots of seafood items. Snow crab, muscles, cockles, crawfish, and oysters, among others. Also a good selection of chinese dishes, sushi (ok not great, buts its a buffet not a sushi bar), and everything was hot an fresh. The place was clean and busy and they were sweeping and cleaning between seatings. For a chinese buffet it was better than I expected. Pleasantly surprised. Looks like a family run business. Give them a try!
The filthiest restaurant in salt lake..
We went to try this restaurant last Sunday Feb 19 2012, not many people,. The food made me sick later at that night and the next day, today two days after I did not go to school, much better but I still sick. Stomachache, vomiting, fever, my body broke-down. I was about to go to emergency that night, but i don't have medical insurance, so I remain at home, taking anti-acid tablets and herbs. The other to people that went with me, told me that they had the same symptoms.
About he food was awful, the food plates look old I think they are using the same dishware since inauguration. The bathroom is stinky their ventilation does not work.
Do not go to this place, unless you hate yourself and want to get ill.
Bad food Bad Service - Irresponsible. I just got back from lunch and my husband and our two young sons 8 & 6 years old went to Jombo Buffet for lunch. We've only been in thee for about 10 minutes already got our food and have started to eat. I got some of their baby bok-choy and I notice a worm on the bok-choy looks like a caterpillar. I approuch two men one was the cashier and I think the other one was either the owner or manager. I showed them the worm on my food. They never acknowledge me. They kept on speaking to each other in their language not sure if it's chinese. I kept asking them questions no response. I asked for a manager or owner and no respond. I ask one of the ladies that was cleaning tables and she claim she doesn't know who the owner is or the manager. I was so disappointed in the fact that they went on with what they were doing as if I wasn't there. we walked out didn't even get to eat our food. My kids were scared. I will never eat at this place again and I am going to report them to the health department. We also took a picture of the worm on my food with our cell phones, not sure what we will do with it but I just want everyone out there to be aware of how this place is. I should have looked up reviews about this place before going there because there are a lot of bad reviews about it. It doesn't even deserve a rating!!!!!
I should have know when we were charged as soon as we walked through the door. Second clue was the Mexican hot sauce on every table.
We also discovered a new Chinese Buffet culinary "un-delight", 5 day old dumplings. Nearly had to wrestle with other patrons to gain access to the crab legs.
Even the fortune cookies were bad.
Happy anniversary honey.
Very Average. I didn't find the place dirty and we didn't get sick (like some of the reviews on here claim), but we certainly didn't think much of the food. It's just OK. Very typical, cheap Chinese buffet food. Service was just OK. We probably won't go back.
Dirty Dirty Dirty. We went to eat here and it made us sick. There was garbage piled up behind the restaurant, the floor and windows in the dining room were filthy. If it's that dirty in the dining area, how much worse do you think it is in the kitchen? The servers were incompetent. I even saw them eating food off of peoples plates and drinking soda out of their cups after they cleared dishes from the table. The food was mediocre at best. My whole family was throwing up within a few hours of eating here. Please beware and proceed with caution.
Bring your Disinfectant spray!. We ate here two times in two years, and got sick both times. After talking to one friend and one neighbor they also said, they got sick after eating there too. They have a problem with using the same towel to wipe down several tables, despite food handlers code that says, u must spray disinfectant on each table. Go there sometime and witness for yourself, they will wipe two tables in a row without using any spray disinfectant, and WITHOUT TAKING THE RAG BAG TO THE HOT WATER/DISINFECTANT TUB they have by the drink dispensers. They will say they do, but see for your self, laziness prevails over health here. I think another reason, people get sick at this restaurant is because people dont know ur not supposed to return the crab crackers to the tray where u got them. They are supposed to be washed. In other words I think people break open their crab leggs,, set their crab cracker down on their plate, where their germs already are, and then turn it back into the dispenser, like it was a nut cracker. If you don't mind getting sick, the food is pretty good there otherwise.
Great takeout good price family friendly.
the best thing I like about the jumbo bufett is that the takeout is a flat price (the same price as lucnh or dinner) instead of buy the pound. For the 6.49 you can get so much more food and a better variety then going to panda express. The staff has always been very helpful.
When dining in, my kids always have good choices and the kids prices are reasonable. My only compliant is they have no kiddie size cups and a full size adult cup no lid for a 3 year old has caused it's share of spills.
The lunch is the best value, because it has several shrimp dishes to chooe from. This is a place my husband and I can agree on.
We just got a new buffet the asian buffet in draper wich is closer but the charge by the pound for take out which can get very costly. The new buffet in draper has poor desert choices in comparison.
Sign in with Facebook Sign in with Facebook to see what your friends are up to!
Do you have a review of Jumbo Buffet on your blog? If you include the Citysearch image link (shown below) in your post, we'll automatically link to your review from the business profile page. Here's how our Linkback system works:
The Linkback system is free and automatic. It's really that easy.
To link to our business profile page, copy the html below to your web page.